Churro Ice Cream Bowls
Servings 8 Bowls
- 1/4 Cup Butter Cubed
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Cinnamon Sugar
- In a medium saucepan over medium/high heat - add butter, brown sugar, salt, and water - bring to a boil. As soon as the butter has fully melted and the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium/low and add in flour.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir until the dough comes together into a ball (about 1 minute). Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before proceeding to the next step (to prevent accidentally cooking the eggs).
- Mix in the vanilla extract and add in the eggs, one at a time, being sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next. Once all the eggs are incorporated, transfer it to a piping bag with a small star tip.
- Invert a muffin tin and spray thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray. Pipe the dough around the inverted cups in spirals to form the bowls. Immediately transfer the tray to the freezer and freeze until solid (about 3 hours or overnight).
- Heat oil in a deep pot to 350˚F (175˚C). Remove the muffin tin from the freezer and flex it to release the churro bowls (you may need to also use a small knife under the bottom edge to initially release them). Return any extras to the freezer while you wait to fry.
- Fry them in batches, until nicely browned - no more than 3 at a time. Be sure to carefully tip them into the oil so they sink to the bottom. Once desired color is reached remove them from the oil to a paper towel lined plate. Dab off any excess oil then roll them in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Fill with you favorite ice cream and toppings. Enjoy!